I've missed writing

Okay, it's been almost five months since I last blogged and I don't want to go that long again. I enjoy processing my thoughts, projects, ideas and life through writing -- so here I go again.


Knitting updates
I've become sock obsessed! In the past two weeks I've bought enough yarn for more than 20 pairs of socks. I recently finished a pair for one of my nieces - I need to block it because I'm afraid I made the foot a little short. We wear the same shoe size and it fits snug on me. My hope is that because she has the foot of a sixteen year old and mine is of a 43-year-old that it will fit her perfectly.


I'm waiting on size 1 and 2 40" Addi Turbos to arrive and hope they do so before Saturday so I can cast on a sock before I leave for Honduras (more about this later). I knit using the Magic Loop Method http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html or check out the book here http://www.fibertrends.com/viewer/patterns/0_magicloop.html and I love it. I love the feel of pulling out the back needle and bringing it to the front to knit the next row. I've found a group on Yahoo http://groups.yahoo.com/group/magic-loop/ and am learning alot from the members of this group. I'm really hung-up on which pattern to us to determine gauge - some patterns say to knit gauge in stockinette and others in the pattern. I'm a loose knitter so I almost always have to change by 2-3 needle sizes.


I'm also knitting a baby blanket that is in a k3p3 rib pattern. It's a mindless project but the yarn I'm using is a little too warm for this time of year so I've put it aside until our next long car trip when I'll want my legs to be covered because of the AC. The yarn is Lion Brand Jiffy Pastel Yellow. It will be given to my cousins daughter who is a month old.


I'm also making progress on Honey's grey cardigan started two years ago. For the longest time I've been stuck on making the left front and the button holes. The pattern I'm using is from 1955 and the only directions are to "make opposite of right side and include button hole loops every x inches". I'm determined to finish this sweater before Thanksgiving and will make a stop to my LYS for help with the instructions.


Crochet update
Finished a blanket for daughter of cousin mentioned above (pictures posted later). Based on the size and weight I think this will be more appropriate as a crib or car seat blanket. They live in Southwest Virginia and it gets really cold in the mountains where they farm. I loved working on this shell pattern and creating the edging - this was the first time I had created an edging without following someone elses pattern. Lessons learned: use a larger hook for a more flat shell pattern.


Missions
This Saturday I leave for Honduras on a medical mission with The Friends of Barnabas http://www.fobf.org/. I'm only now getting excited about the trip. I've had so much going on this summer with transitioning from full-time student to full-time work at the seminary and part-time at the church, two uncles who are undergoing treatment for cancer and dealing with the heat that I haven't had time to think about the trip other than to be in prayer - which is the most important thing that I can be doing. I'm going as chaplain and am planning the devotionals and a worship service. The theme that has come to me is "God is Closer Than You Think". It may seem obvious to some that God would be in the middle of a missions trip but often those on the trip experience times of loneliness, doubt, fear and anxiety. I thought that this theme would bring encouragement and hope.


Off to get ready for work.

Comments

Popular Posts